Cloudian has announced that its HyperStore object storage has been certified with VMware Tanzu Kubernetes Grid (TKG), a multi-cloud Kubernetes footprint that can run both on-premises in VMware vSphere and in the public cloud on Amazon EC2 and Microsoft Azure.
enterprise-grade persistent storage for modern, cloud-native applications in TKG
customers’ own environments, with fully native S3 compatibility, limitless
scalability, military-grade security and cloud-like agility at up to 70% less
cost than public cloud offerings. This announcement complements Cloudian’s
ongoing collaboration with VMware in other areas, such as enabling customers to
support both modern and traditional applications from a single platform through
HyperStore’s interoperability with VMware Cloud Foundation.
Cloud-native applications need cloud-native
Enterprises are increasingly deploying
cloud-native applications on-premises to meet regulatory requirements and avoid
the cost and complexity of moving large production workloads to the cloud.
These applications require a modern storage foundation that can fully support technologies
such as Kubernetes, serverless computing and microservices that are key
components of these environments.
Unfortunately, traditional enterprise
storage systems not only are difficult to provision and manage but also cannot
deliver the cost-effective scalability needed. Purpose-built container storage
offerings are more agile but lack the scalability, security and durability that
cloud-native production environments demand.
Benefits of Cloudian object storage for VMware
In contrast to these other solutions, Cloudian
gives VMware TKG customers a highly scalable, more secure and cost-effective
enterprise storage platform with the agility and ease-of-management needed for
cloud-native applications. Key features and benefits include:
- Fully native S3 compatibility, enabling application portability across on-prem and public cloud environments.
- Simple API calls for high-level storage management access.
- Multi-tenancy for secure, self-managed storage within a single platform.
- Multi-cloud support with single-namespace simplicity, including out-of-the-box integration with AWS, GCP and Azure that maintains data in its native format.
- Enterprise-grade security, including data immutability for ransomware protection, encryption for data in flight and at rest, integrated firewall, RBAC/IAM and SAML access controls, and certification with the most rigorous regulatory requirements, such as Common Criteria, FIPS and NIST 800-88.
- Cost savings from consolidating traditional and modern workloads
on the same platform, thereby eliminating infrastructure silos and capitalising
on common skills and training.
“As enterprises increasingly deploy applications
of all kinds across both public and private clouds, they want a consistent
operational model,” says Ajay Patel, senior vice president and general manager, Modern Applications and
Management Business Group, VMware.
“With its native S3 compatibility, exabyte scalability and robust security, Cloudian
HyperStore object storage provides a strong modern storage foundation for our Tanzu
Kubernetes Grid customers.”