We look at 7 of the most astonishing data centres from around the world;
1. 300 meters below the ground – In a converted mineshaft in the Norwegian archipelago of Svalbard – Norway’s famous doomsday seed vault is getting a new
2. In a beautiful church – The Barcelona Supercomputing Centre (BSC) installed its MareNostrum, the most powerful supercomputer in Europe, in the 19th century Torre Girona chapel in Barcelona, Spain.
3. Inside a chicken coop – Yahoo! is committed to being an environmentally responsible company, and the addition of a G-O2 Living Wall is just one leafy example. With the Internet accessible by over 40% of the world’s population, such a demand for Internet services requires expanded infrastructure and installation of more computing and data storage
4. At the bottom of the ocean – Called Project Natick, the 2015 experiment involved housing a data
5. In the middle of the desert – The Utah Data Centre, also known as the Intelligence Community Comprehensive National Cyber security Initiative Data Centre, is a data storage facility for the United States Intelligence Community that is designed to store data estimated to be on the order of exabytes or larger. Its purpose is to support the Comprehensive National Cyber security Initiative (CNCI), though its precise mission is classified.
6. In an Ice Cube Lab – At -40°, this place is so cold, they have to heat the air used to cool the data
7. Hidden inside a mountain – Green Mountain is the world’s most environmentally friendly data