IoT and mobile device proliferation is accelerating Wi-Fi demand, with three billion devices shipping in 2018 and more than nine billion devices in use, according to the Wi-Fi Alliance. With more devices projected to hit the market, Extreme Networks, Inc. has announced the most powerful and integrated edge technology; featuring six new high-performance 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) indoor, outdoor and stadium Wi-Fi access points and a new family of multi-rate Gigabit switches. Products will be generally available in April.
ExtremeMobility 500 series 802.11ax access points, part of Extreme’s Smart OmniEdge solution, are said to have been designed to provide unrivalled connectivity in the most dense, challenging environments, deliver leading-edge customer experiences, and ensure that infrastructure isn’t a hindrance, but rather a driver of innovation and business opportunity. The solution promises to deliver 4x greater capacity, so organisations can scale their networks for growth and have the bandwidth to support more devices and immersive applications.
Extreme says its stadium Wi-Fi access points are purpose-built to work with the unique physical characteristics of stadiums and other large public venues. The series includes options for under-seat and overhead mounting, as well as remote antennae programmability, giving IT teams the ability to fine-tune coverage as needed.
● Extreme says it is the first to leverage machine learning to monitor and learn the behaviour of 802.11ax RF networks. With Extreme AI for Smart OmniEdge, customers can apply artificial intelligence to auto-tune the network for optimum performance and experience, lessening the workload for network engineers and providing a path for autonomous networking at the edge.
● Customers can select from three modes of software-programmable radios to optimise for 5 GHz coverage and more efficiently support all types of devices with better performance, without requiring cable retrofits. An integrated Bluetooth radio enhances guest engagement analytics, granular locating, and IoT connectivity.
● Built-in WPA3, the latest Wi-Fi security standard, boosts cryptographic strength for 802.11ax networks transmitting sensitive data, providing end users with the peace of mind that their wireless communications are secure.
● Combined with a new Extreme Switching X465 premium, stackable multi-rate Gigabit Ethernet switch with MACsec and 60/90W PoE, 802.11ax customers can use Extreme Fabric Connect™ capabilities to extend network security and management across a unified wired and wireless network. The X465 is available in six different models for connecting a range of edge access devices.
● Optional integration with ExtremeAnalytics, ExtremeLocation and ExtremeGuest applications helps customers better manage connections and drill deep into application usage trends to gather critical information needed by the business to engage users, control applications and protect the network. Deployed with Extreme AirDefense, a wireless intrusion prevention system, customers have a robust solution that not only protects their business data but meets regulatory compliance.
Mike Leibovitz, Senior Director of Product Management and Strategy, Extreme Networks adds,“Our customers are testing the limits of today’s Wi-Fi standards daily at football games, eSports tournaments, emergency rooms, retail shops, college campuses and more. And if there is a failure – if they get it wrong – it won’t just be providing a poor experience, they’ll lose customers. As a Wi-Fi solutions provider for 28 NFL stadiums, as well as numerous collegiate and pro sports venues, Extreme is an expert in solving the challenging issues of dense, outdoor networking. In fact, we are the first to offer 802.11ax access points that are purpose-built for stadium environments, and we’ve applied those learnings across our 802.11ax family to empower businesses of all kinds to get ahead of the Wi-Fi curve and support more users, and more devices, more efficiently.”
To see Extreme’s 802.11ax technology in action, visit Extreme in the IHP Pavilion at HIMSS 2019, 11-15 February in Orlando, or in Fira Gran Via, booth 1A26 at Mobile World Congress, 25-28 February in Barcelona.